There are few tips and tricks on how to monetize a blog. And no, it isn’t about the number of your followers on social media and how many ‘friends’ have liked your photos. It is all about strategy, timing and planning.
Allow me to share.
There are few ways to monetize a blog, however, first you must plan your topic and niche market. Ask yourself a few questions, do you want to blog about beauty and lifestyle? How about showcasing your cooking skills? Once you understand your topic work on the content and finally, plan your target market.
For example, on my blog www.kathleengodfroy.com I planned to share my personal and start-up experience in cosmetics business. It includes of girls bonding, photoshoot, a little bit of travel, and some educational information. Then, I targeted the late twenties to mid ‘30s who are modern women and perhaps living in the city.
Let me do the segmentation for you.
- Topic: Beauty + Start-up Stories.
- Market: Men + Women in late 20’s to mid-30’s.
- Location: Cities (i.e. Singapore, California, Manila, and Dubai, etc).
Why it is important to have specific target market?
- When you start to blog in beauty and if you have good data base of readers, don’t change the topic. Be consistent! Don’t anyhow change to gadgets advice or tech savvy. Otherwise, your readers will be confused and they will unsubscribe in your newsletter. Remember the reason why they read your blog because they find your topic interesting so if you change that they will unfollow you.
- The market is huge and you can’t generalize everything. Just because you write about beauty stories doesn’t mean it cater to women from age 18-60. Each topic has different types of market. So, be careful who you are planning to target in your blog.
- Location is also important because each location has different culture, vibe and beliefs. For example, I post about my lifestyle in Singapore which includes of my favourite afternoon-teas with the ladies, street photography and sharing sneaky photos of my new lovely apartment. My posts may be likeable to women who are also living in the city. They understand the lifestyle that having an afternoon-tea doesn’t mean being an extravagant. It’s a social norm. However, it may be perceived as ‘show off’ to people who are living in the country as they have different lifestyle and culture.
In general, targeting the right locations for your market is important so you can stick with your audience.
After you plan your topic and niche now it’s time to create marketing strategy for your blog.
- Include email marketing on your blog. Don’t worry if none of your mates will support your blog. Just be consistent in your passion and eventually your audience will grow. 🙂 When I started in blogging I only have less than 10 subscribers and all of them are my family. LOL. Why email marketing is important? It is important because you can update your subscribers to read your latest blog post, educate them why they should buy your products (if you’re selling any) and to promote your brand sponsors (more about it later).
- To be searchable on Google you must understand how to make key tactics. It means you have to earn organic search engine results by doing the following;
- Build your website and blog with search engines. It means in each blog post you must add key phrases written in code and headings of your blogs. Tip: WordPress is good at this one where you can embed codes.
- Add SEO plugins to your WordPress. You can find it on Yoast plugin. Download it and install. Once it’s install you will be able to add the metatags for your article.
- Creative content is important! So, if you’re a copy and paste queen chances are your blog will not be searchable online because Google robots only read the original content.
- Use relevant hashtags in the keywords.
- Create backlinks if you fancy that.
- Choose the right social media to grow your audience. It means choose your favourite social media platform to showcase your best self. For example, I only like to use Facebook to share my personal stories because 90% of my relatives and classmates are on my friend’s list but I am not comfortable to update them about my latest products because once you post too much products or services on your page, you will look like a salesperson and followers do not like that.
As results, I selected Instagram to share my passion in photography, a few selfies, and everything fun in between. On Instagram, I found a new way to connect with people even if I don’t know them personally. In fact, I’ve been receiving gifts from ‘friends’ on Instagram.
- Use podcast to grow your blog traffic. If you like to talk and if you have a beautiful voice why not be a podcaster! 😊 There are many people who only like to see the photos on your blog but not all of them are interested to read a long article just like this one. Ha ha! Thus, using podcast to express yourself will help to grow your audience. People may love to listen to your stories. I started podcasting since few months ago and I’m still working on my niche topic on this platform.
How blogging can help? It can help if you’re selling products or services and/or if you intend to monetize it in the future. To work with brands, your blog must have creative content on the basis of quality photographs, information, web-design and originality. Using Facebook may work and there are many influencers who use it as a platform to share their creative videos, Live videos, and everything fun in between. The problem with Facebook platform, it is limited to be creative. Unlike, if you will use WordPress as a platform the possibilities are endless. You can share photographs (in large resolutions), videos, write a long content, embed codes, design the page, download plugins and many more.
How to work with brands? To work with brands you must have a blog to present to them. Once you have blog content and audience create your media kit and offer your service to brands for collaboration. Note: to work with them you have to approach them directly! 🙂 Just because you are beautiful or you have interesting blog topics don’t mean brands will approach you, unless, if you have over 500K followers.
I’ve been working with brands online for some years now and I’m telling you with all honesty it is hard to approach brands if your social media audience is not big enough. I only started blog in my late twenties so when I joined the blogging scene it’s kinda too late. 🙂 However, this doesn’t stop me from moving forward. I suggest that you start now, enjoy the process and develop it as you go. Tip: collaborate with your friends. Don’t be a Debbie Downer. ha ha! 😀
During my staycation in Ritz Carlton in Singapore. To work with brands, you must prepare your media kit and approach the marketing head team. They may consider your requests depending on your offer.
21007total visits,2visits today